Sunday, April 1, 2012

Magnetic Play

K decided she wanted to play with her magnet kits. Let me tell you, I was soooooo exited. I LOVE playing with magnets.  I have to admit, I bought the kit partly because I wanted to play with them. That and they were on clearance (SCORE!!!), and of course I knew K would love them and there are a ton of education value to magnets. Anyhow, I was so shocked when K didn't ask me to play with her. I asked her if she would like to create on her own and she said yes. I think I was more exited that she was so into playing with them by herself, that I wasn't bummed at all that I missed out on some magnet play. 
During her play time she explored areas such as patterns, imagination, color recognition, science, and shape recognitions.
Patterns- She used some of the magnets to create color patterns on her magnet board.
 -"Mom I made an A,B pattern look! Red, blue, red, blue"
Color Recognition- K identified all the colors of each magnet she played with.  She made sure I knew what colors she was working with.
   -" Look mom, I have a yellow magnet now"

Imagination- K had such great use of imagination by building a magnet person. How clever is her idea with the hair and face?

                                                 

Science Lesson- The kit came with a magnet book. It talks about all the different magnets and how they work. Today K explored and learned about magnetic poles. In the book we read how opposite poles attract each other, and same poles repel each other. K had a lot of fun with experimenting the polar ends of different magnets. Her favorite were the magnet wands and horseshoes since they repelled the strongest.
We ran out of time before we could finish an experiment with pipe cleaners. We will be getting back to that in a few days and I will post about that as well. Magnets are so much fun for the kids, and adults too of course. There are so many versatile ways to play and learn. If you don't have one already, I would recommend investing in a kit. 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment