Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Baby Food

A few days ago I made my first small batch of home made baby food. C is 5 1/2 months and is VERY ready for food. I have given him small amounts of Earth's best cereal here and there already. Mainly to see if he was ready for solids. Before this he was always watching us intently while we ate and reaching for our food or drinks when we were near him. His Ped said they look for 3 things to determine if they are ready.
1. Neck control-they need to be able to hold their head up steadily to maintain an open airway while eating.
*check!
2. Show interest in eating/food
*check!
3. Out grown the tongue thrust reflex
*obviously only confirmed by trying, which we did...check!!
C is ready for solids!! He did really well with the cereal. He loved it and even grabbed constantly for the spoon to "feed himself". I still was not ready to move on to veggies, or even make solids consistently yet.  I really wanted to wait as close to 6 months as possible. Well C ended up getting sick and that took care of the problem for us. He was too grumpy and congested to deal with any eating but nursing. Plus I did not want to wonder if he was having a reaction to food or if it was his cold symptoms. So we waited another 2 weeks. C will be 6 months on the 28th, so I figured it was a good time to slowly start. I am starting him off with green veggies. I really want to get him use to these first, and get into a good eating routine before I introduce the sweeter foods. To this day K is still very picky with veggies and I don't think we were strict enough with them when she was younger.
I chose green beans as my starting veggie. Very easy to make, and definitely not too sweet. Here is what I did.
Fist I washed and cut off the ends of the green beans

Then I steams them for a few minutes until tender.
They then went into the blender to puree. I added about an ounce of breastmilk to help with this process. I found by experimenting with cereal, he did not like it when I used water. But he would he it all up when I used breaskmilk. Makes sense, he is use to the taste and it is sweet.

When this was done I then poured the puree into an ice cube tray. Each slot makes about 1oz, or one serving for his age.

I then put it into the freezer until frozen. I popped the frozen cubes out and put them into a baggie with the date on it and put it back into the freezer(didn't get a pic of this sorry). I can now grab an individual serving as needed. This whole process took about 15 min. I didn't make too  much this go around. I wanted to make sure he liked it and didn't have a reaction to it. Next time I will make a larger batch to last a week.  I am introducing him to one veggie a week. This makes it easier to tell if he has a reaction to the food and we will know for sure instead of having to guess between multiple foods. Next week we will try peas!

No comments:

Post a Comment